Minns Labor Government secures future of the Educational Pathways Program

28 August 2025

Steve Whan
Minister for Skills, TAFE, and Tertiary Education

MEDIA RELEASE

Minns Labor Government secures future of the Educational Pathways Program

Thursday, 28 August 2025

The Minns Labor Government has announced ongoing funding of $38.9 million for the Educational Pathways Program (EPP), guaranteeing thousands of students will continue to benefit from hands-on vocational learning while still at school.

The announcement, made at Seven Hills High School's Vocational Innovation Centre, comes during National Skills Week 2025, underscores the importance of vocational education and training and the diverse and rewarding career opportunities it provides.

The EPP gives students a head start by letting them try out trades, connect with employers and take their first steps into apprenticeships and traineeships before graduating.

The program builds confidence, career awareness, and real-world skills, while creating a stronger pipeline of skilled workers for NSW.

Since its launch, the program has expanded rapidly across schools and proven its impact, Student engagement in EPP initiatives has surged from 3,800 in 2021 to more than 50,000 in 2024, while participation in school-based apprenticeships has risen by 20 per cent in recent years.

The EPP plays a central role in the Minns Labor Government's Skills Plan, the first in 15 years, which sets out a long-term strategy to prepare the state's workforce for the jobs of the future. 

This investment also delivers on recommendations from the NSW VET Review, which called for closer collaboration between schools, TAFE and industry, and highlighted the importance of embedding vocational education as a high-quality, aspirational option for students. 

By securing ongoing funding, the Government is guaranteeing the future of a program that has already changed thousands of lives and strengthened pathways into training and employment.

NSW Minister for Skills, TAFE, and Tertiary Education, Steve Whan said:

"The Educational Pathways Program has proven itself as a game-changer for students, schools and employers right across NSW. By making its funding ongoing, we're guaranteeing its impact for years to come.

"The results speak for themselves, with more than 50,000 students taking part in EPP programs last year alone. This investment means more students will be able to access those life-changing opportunities.

"It's fitting that we make this announcement during National Skills Week, a celebration of the power of vocational education and training, and the vital role is plays in strengthening our workforce and communities."

Department of Education Secretary, Murat Dizdar said:

"The delivery of high-quality vocational education through the Educational Pathways Program is opening students' and parents' eyes to the incredible post-school opportunities that are available in the workforce.

"I am committed to ensuring every student leaves school equipped with the skills they need to succeed and Skills Week is the perfect time to dispel outdated stereotypes of vocational education and instead focus on the nation-building potential these careers now represent in a rapidly evolving jobs landscape."